Wednesday 6 June 2012

Our 20th Anniversary

Twenty years ago today, I was driving a Fiat Panda. I only remember that because, on my way home to get ready to go out with a friend of mine called Alison, on a kind-of-date, I ran over a coat-hanger and the metal bit got jammed into the tyre, puncturing it. I spent an unhappy half hour at Dolphin Tyres waiting for it to be repaired (Panda tyres were tiny, it didn't cost much thankfully), raced home and got changed and rolled up at Alison Brooks' house twenty minutes late. I explained what had happened, I think she kind of believed me and we went on our way, to the Point in Milton Keynes.


We booked tickets to see two films - Waynes World and Basic Instinct - and watched the first. It was funny, we had a laugh, life was good. We had something to eat, then went into a pub for a drink before the 2nd film and I asked Alison if she wanted to go out, properly, "you know, as boyfriend and girlfriend". She said yes, which surprised me enough that I couldn't think of anything to say - not the best start. Speaking of which, it also meant that the first film we saw as boyfriend & girlfriend was the Paul Verhoven sleaze-fest. Hmmm.

Six years later, to the day, we got married. It was a lovely occasion, Alison looked stunning and I was as happy as I could be.

Today, in 2012, Alison & I celebrate 20 years together as a couple, 14 of them married. I can't take much credit for it - her love, kindness and tolerance have helped a lot - but I like to think we make a great team and I hope we continue to do so for many, many years to come.

Happy anniversary beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment